Monday, November 23, 2009

There's Know Place Like Home .....

... especially if you're an old Kansas fan, like me. They're in the midst of a reunion tour, right now, which I was able to 'attend' - in a matter of speaking, from the comfort of my living room, watching a broadcast on HDNET.

I 'discovered' them ... kind of the same way Columbus 'discovered' America, really. They hadn't (yet) raised much of a ripple on the east coast by the mid-70s, so my introduction to them didn't come until I headed west, and came within earshot of album-rock FM radio, which provided a friendlier setting for the longer, more complex songs that comprised so much of the band's canon of works. My introduction to them was the release of their third album, "Masque," and the single, "Icarus Borne on Wings of Steel" ... and I was hooked.

From there, I moved backwards, and got copies of their first and second albums, "Kansas" and "Song for America." Then came the release of their fourth album, "Leftoverture," which included some AM-friendly cuts that quickly rose in the charts - and from there they REALLY took off.
That was all 35-or-so years ago. But last night, they showed me they still had it ... and I still love 'em for it!

No comments: