Monday, October 05, 2009

Back to the Brits .....

In November, AMC will present The Prisoner miniseries, a reinterpretation of the British 1960s cult hit series that helped get me hooked on television from the other side of the pond.

If you have about ten minutes, here's a more extended preview of the series ...

I'm waiting with more-than-a-little anxiety. The original series, with Patrick McGoohan as #6, was one of several from Britain that counted me among their devoted fans. Others included The Avengers and Danger Man; later, the Benny Hill Show and Monty Python's Flying Circus; and still later, Miss Marple, Poirot, Dalgliesh, Inspector Morse and other adaptations of classic British mystery stories.

When it come to The Prisoner, though, one question I have in advance of next month's premier is, "how much respect will producers of the 'reinterpretation' show for viewers' intelligence and imagination?" As much as producers of the original showed? I hope so.

2 comments:

Eric Siegmund said...

Jeff, one of the free on-demand movie channels in our extended cable package was re-running the entire original series of "The Prisoner." I watched only a couple of episodes (they were airing at an inconvenient time) but they brought back memories.

Jeff said...

Eric, I caught some of that, too, on IFC. GREAT stuff.