Monday, May 12, 2008

Sunrise Midland .....

Not a bad start this morning ..... I can think of worse places to greet the sunrise than Midland, Texas. It was one of those good-news, not-so-good-news kind of things that had me greeting the dawn today.

The good news? With graduation behind us, Midland College goes to summer hours, and we're only open four days-a-week. The not-so-good news? Those four days are longer, and I'm in the office, now, at seven o'clock in the morning, instead of eight o'clock. It's no problem getting up early ..... I was already up and busy that early ..... those of you with school-age children will understand.

A good-thing-about-the-not-so-good-news? An early morning drive through the (not-so) Tall (as-it-used-to-be) City. A treat for the eyes was the sun coming up and, in and out of the clouds on the eastern horizon. Overhead, the sky was a beautiful blue - progressing through every shade of blue as the sun rose. There was that wonderful coolness we enjoy, even on the mornings where the day's high temperatures will reach into the 90s, or more.

All of this complemented by music on the radio - an XM Moment! - "Song of the High Hills" by
Frederick Delius.

All in all, not a bad way to start the morning.

4 comments:

spookyrach said...

Sounds great.

I think only those of us who have lived in this part of the world can really appreciate the majesty possible in a sunrise or a sunset. They're pretty wherever you are. But they're really spectacular here. I guess it's God's way of rewarding those of us brave/dumb enough to stick it out in this otherwise god-forsaken landscape. :)

Jeff said...

Spookyrach, that's true. I'll bet you've seen more than a few of them up there in Fake Cow County.

Anonymous said...

I've always said West Texas has the greatest skies in the world. Some years ago, I was leaving a rehearsal at Midland Community Theater. There was one of those absolutely magnificent sunsets occurring. As we walked out, the director (Ted Strickland, if I recall) turned to me and said, "You know, if I painted a set like that people would say it looked fake because it was too colorful."

Jeff said...

Darrell, thanks for stopping in! I hadn't thought of Ted in quite some time ..... and he knew what he was talking about. Now, in your capacity as a member of NewsWest 9's StormTracker Team, will you PLEASE send us some clouds, AND RAIN?