Friday, May 09, 2008

Next Time, Shut the Heck Up .....

Opened my big fat mouth a few weeks back, and that turned out to be a big fat mistake. Next time, I just need to shut the heck up.

A friend was asking me about my new job at
Midland College ... "What's it like?" and "How does it compare to your old job?"

I pointed out that the hours are A LOT better than in television news and production ..... less of them and more consistent. It REALLY IS a Monday-to-Friday, eight-to-five job. No overnight stabbings, shootings or fatal wrecks, no weekend tornadoes or wildfires, no long nights following the latest football scores from Girvin, or election returns from Eureka.

I also commented that the stress level was a lot lower, and I smugly observed that what counts for a crisis on a college campus would barely raise a ripple in a television newsroom - big fat mistake.

"It is statements like these,"
John Maddox Roberts wrote in his short story, The Statuette of Rhodes, "that provide the gods with no end of amusement."

We are now less than 12 hours away from commencement, and less than 72 hours away from moving our office to temporary quarters to make way for renovations on our building. To say it's been 'hectic' would be a ridiculous understatement. I'll re-cap next week ..... if I live, or haven't been taken into custody!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What department are you in?

Jeff said...

Public Information & Media ... from cookies to caps-and-gowns, from seating to singers, we did it ALL these past few weeks.

That Janie Girl said...

Congrats on your new job, I didn't know!!

Jeff said...

Janie, yesiree, no more daytime TV for me! Seriously, though, I enjoy being back in a 'regular' job ..... the freelance world can be a little hectic sometimes, with erratic swings between trickles and floods.

So, how's YOUR new job coming along.

That Janie Girl said...

Jeff- I love it. Haven't seen your favorite landman, but I've been traveling quite a bit lately! I bet I'll see her soon.
Glad you're doing well.

Jeff said...

Janie, I'm sure the two of you will meet at some event - oil, shooting, whatever.