Friday, April 28, 2006

The Slings and Arrows of Outrageous (and Undeserved) Fortune ...

This past week, Eric at Fire Ant Gazette delivered a virtual smakckdown of fellow Tall City blogger, Jimmy at Sticky Doorknobs ...

What raised Eric's e-dander was a
post by Jimmy (on both his blog, and the front page of the local paper) about the latest offering from the Dixie Chicks on record store shelves ...

I have never found cause to doubt Eric's acceptance of Christ's command to love one another ... but, sometimes, it can be tough love ... his smackdown was thoughtful, thorough, delivered with respect ...

... and, I think, undeserved ...

I never read the hard-copy edition (really, who has time, except on Sundays?), but I did read the post on his blog ... then, I read it again ... and then, a third time ...

Frankly, I was unable to arrive at some of the same conclusions Eric did ... I noted that, in a comment on
Eric's post ... responding, Eric conceded a point or two, yet stood firmly by his interpretation of what Jimmy had written ...

And, I stand by my - and Jimmy's - interpretation of what he wrote ...

And, through it all, we strove to keep to the high road ... agreeing to disagree in an agreeable manner ... which is why the Gazette remains West Texas' #1 virtual forum for a genuine, multilateral discussion and exchange of views ...


Discussions, smackdowns, rants ... whatever you want to call them ... they are a part of my 'job description' - and Jimmy's - as journalists ... he and I both know how petty and how nasty they can get, sometimes ... and he and I both know, in the grand scheme of things, just how unimportant those little barbs really are ...

At the same time, he and I both know how helpful they can be, sometimes ... opening our eyes and our minds to a vision that was, until this moment, unsuspected ... and he and I both know, in the grand scheme of things, just how important those little rays of light really are ...

Keep the faith, Jimmy, and keep writing ...

No comments: