Thursday, March 11, 2010

Visiting Worlds Next-Door to Our Own ...

This past weekend, I had a chance to catch two documentaries from the same producer, each offering an up-close and insightful look into worlds located not very far from your doorstep.

Both of them aired on
IFC (Independent Film Channel, 306 on Suddenlink Cable), and both were produced by the aptly-named SeeThink Films. I recommend them both ... though I can't guarantee that they'll provoke the same response in you that they have with me, or with other viewers.

One is
Darkon, an award-winning (at SXSW, in Austin, among others) documentary film that follows the real-life adventures of the Darkon Wargaming Club Maryland, a group of fantasy live-action role-playing gamers.



The other is New World Order, a documentary film that explores activists committed to vigorously opposing what they perceive to be an emerging bureaucratic collectivist one-world government.



An initial response might be a chuckle, and a remark about somebody being a bubble-off-center, or a sandwich-short-of-a-picnic. But, as I remind my visitors in the header graphic for this blog, "we are more alike than we know, or care to admit." No, I don't go around painting myself blue and running around in the woods with a broadsword. But I was a D&D enthusiast in college, and medieval studies in literature and music continue to interest me. And while I didn't make the transition into Society for Creative Anachronism, I DID serve a number of years in Company A, 1st US Infantry (memorial) at Historic Fort Stockton, wearing the uniform and firing the weapons of a 19th-century American infantryman.

No comments: