Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm For Keeping Grant ... But I AM a Dang Yankee, After All ...

In this post on the Los Angeles Times' DC Now blog, Johanna Neuman writes, "Rep. Patrick T. McHenry of North Carolina wants to sub Reagan on the nation's $50 bill for President Ulysses S. Grant, a union general during the Civil War who led the North to victory and later became the nation's 18th POTUS. Grant, a champion for African Americans, died broke, so he probably appreciates the money. But if McHenry has his way, Grant will be retired to the dustbin of history."
Me? I'm all for keeping Grant on the $50 bill ... but I AM a dang Yankee, after all, and the descendant of men who served under Grant's ultimate command during the Civil War. I'll be the first to acknowledge there are aspects of Grant's administration that were less-than-stellar ... but, then, I'd say the same thing for many of those who have served in our nation's highest elected office.

If we have to place Reagan on a piece of currency, let's put him on the $1 coin. Maybe he'll succeed in capturing our interest, and encouraging our use of that coin far more than Sacagawea and Susan B. Anthony have managed.

No comments: