Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I'm Just Not As Excited .....

... over the prospects of tomorrow's primary, as I might have been. Last week, Texas Secretary of State Phil Wilson predicted a record turnout for Tuesday's balloting ..... and I plan to do my part, and contribute my vote to the totals.

But, while I still will have a full slate of candidates from which to choose, some decisions have already been made for me (and for other voters in the Lone Star State). Only a fraction of those who announced their candidacy, are still running a viable campaign. Many of them have since announced their withdrawal, and offered their endorsement for one or another of a dwindling pool of active candidates.

And that does raise one spark of local interest for me ..... the other day, I spoke with a longtime energy company pro who planned to vote for Hillary Clinton tomorrow - not out of any great respect for Ms. Clinton, but out of concern over New Mexico Governor Richardson's endorsement of Clinton's opponent. What role, I was asked, might Richardson have in an Obama administration ..... please, PLEASE, PLEASE, not energy secretary.

Getting back to my earlier point ..... I find myself leaning towards the idea of a single nationwide primary ..... everyone goes to the polls and decides the same issues among the same pool of viable candidates. Sure, the candidates would pay more attention (and spend more money) in the 'BIG' states ..... but is that any different from what's going on now? I mean, how much time and money are the candidates spending on Rhode Island and Vermont right now, while Texas and Ohio are up for grabs the same day?

Anyway, those are my thoughts ..... what do YOU think?

No comments: