Friday, August 31, 2007

Today's TOP Story .....

Forget Senator Craig and Princess Di ..... MY pick for top story of the day is my sighting a woodpecker in the Tall City! I have always associated them with other parts of West Texas, such as Brewster and Jeff Davis counties ..... this is my first sighting of one in Midland. I'm not as quick on the shutter release as Eric at Fire Ant Gazette, but the Golden Fronted Woodpecker in this photo (taken by J R Compton of J R's Images & Ideas) looks just like the one I saw in my neighbor's yard.

3 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Awesome! I'd love to see one close up around here...I think.

Do they do much damage??

Jeff said...

Janie, I don't think so. If they persist, they make a small hole in the outer bark of the tree, maybe getting after critters burrowing into the tree ..... they might even be beneficial!

Dating said...

Do they do much damage??