Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pennsylvanians Are Watching .....

… as Texans play football … at least that’s the case for those who follow that brand of the pigskin parade practiced by colleges, in general, and Penn State, in particular.

Last week, I connected by telephone and text with a number of family members and old acquaintances in the Keystone State. More than once, I heard some variation on, “how did that Texas game go?” One of those was from a sibling who was just settling down at a table at
Joe’s Grotto, with pizza, beer and Penn State vs. Ohio State on big-screen TV … I did my best to be civil, even though I was burning with envy!

So, why the interest?

Perhaps they’re sizing-up the competition. More than one aficionado of college football has suggested to me that the best championship matchup this season could be the
Penn State University Nittany Lions versus the University of Texas Longhorns … which must really torque the wrench of ‘Bama fans!

But they’re also checking out this other school from out west … what is it? … Texas Tech? A great season, both for the Raiders as a whole, and individual team members ... but, let’s face it, back east, no Texas school is even remotely as well-known as UT … and that’s due as much to their
cowboy-hatted band - and giant drum - as it is to anything else … though the recent spate of stars from the Longhorn football program has increased UT’s profile among the general public of late.

So, the numbers for this weekend’s broadcast of the UT/Tech game should be pretty good - just ask the producers of
ESPN College Gameday – and the numbers from some of the Pennsylvania markets should help.

ON A RELATED NOTE: Then again ... maybe it's not to be ... "College Football Ranking System Could Hurt Penn State" Cary Dunst writes in The Epoch Times. And, "Perception of Nittany Lions is problem" Donnie Collins writes in The Scranton Times-Tribune.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former member of Longhorn Band, I loved finding your mention of them today. I am indeed so proud to say I was once among their ranks. It's cool to hear that people beyond the band members' parents take notice; especially as far away as Pennsylania! It was definitely one of the best times of my life, despite the fact that the football team sucked back then. And even 15 years later, I still get a surge when I catch a glimpse of them on TV.

Jeff said...

tricia, thanks for stopping in. Back in the good ol' days, when the Cotton Bowl was still a national television event, we'd get a chance to see the Longhorn Band at work (play?). I always thought that being one of those guys hauling that huge, wheeled drum would be the greatest job ever!

Anonymous said...

The Bertha Crew, as they're known, are actually kids who didn't make the cut for the main unit of the band. Might I suggest blowing your audition?

Jeff said...

I'll keep that in mind, should I ever go 'middle-age crazy' and head back to school. Alas, ny college marching band days - with the UNM Spirit of Loboland - ended 25 years ago!

Sis said...

Yes, we are watching. I want you to know the conversation of college football in Texas continued into the teacher's lounge in a local school district here in PA. I'm glad we are broadening our horizons! Three Cheers for Texas Tech!!
On a side note LL won "The Old Shoe" this week against Dallas. Another great tradition continues!