Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dana and Me ...

"Though it is embarrassing to admit this in public, I can no longer hide the truth. I have a Sarah Palin problem," Dana Milbank writes in an opinion piece posted earlier this week on at the Washington Post's website. "I have written about her in 42 columns since Sen. John McCain picked her as his vice-presidential running mate in 2008. I've mentioned her in dozens more blog posts, Web chats, and TV and radio appearances. I feel powerless to control my obsession, even though it cheapens and demeans me."

"But today is the first day of the rest of my life. And so, I hereby pledge that, beginning on Feb. 1, 2011, I will not mention Sarah Palin - in print, online or on television - for one month. Furthermore, I call on others in the news media to join me in this pledge of a Palin-free February."

Milbank admits to a media obsession with Palin ... and to having done his part to nurture and maintain that obsession. He goes on to note that abiding by such a pledge would be difficult at best, and that there may be consequences ...

"It's impossible, I figured, because Palin is a huge source of cheap Web clicks, television ratings and media buzz. If any of us refused to partake of her Facebook candy or declined to use her as blog bait, we would be sending millions of Web surfers, readers, viewers and listeners to our less scrupulous competitors."

In closing, Milbank calls upon others to do their part, to take a pledge of their own, prompting me to wonder whether I should risk alienating my readers, and reducing my reader-clicks from the double-digits down to the single-digits ...

"And so I pledge to you: Sarah Palin's name will not cross my lips - or my keyboard - for the entire month of February," Millbank announces. "Who's with me?"

(standing up in the back row, second balcony, and raising my hand) ... "Me."

No comments: