Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Community College Community: Arts .....

While attending the recent opening of an art exhibit, I was reminded that Midland College is not only a place where I work ... it's a place where I live, as well.

The occasion was the Fall Juried Art Exhibition hosted by
Midland College and the Midland Arts Association, now showing at MC's McCormick Gallery. My Favorite Landman and I attended the opening reception, earlier this month, and were not only entertained about the works chosen for exhibition, but excited by many of the artists' names that accompanied those works.

It's a diverse exhibition, featuring works in a variety of media. There were paintings, including a pair of Texas landscapes by Merle Taylor - a member of our church family, and an accomplished artist. Another landscape - this one of the Grand Canyon - was created by our neighbor, Arthur Oldham. There were also ceramics, including a pair of works by Jesse Trejo, whose boy is a classmate and soccer-mate with our Elder Son. Photographs were also well-represented, including one submission by H.A. Tuck, who I got to know many years ago when he was Public Information Officer for Midland College, and I was a Public Service Director for KMID-TV, Big 2.

It's a good show, and a good reminder that ours is a diverse community, enriched by people of diverse talents ... and I appreciate the opportunity provided by MC and MAA to enjoy those talents. The exhibition will continue through November 21, and admission is free. You definitely want to check this one out.

No comments: