Friday, February 22, 2008

And Now, This Word From ... Uh .....

Frank at Books, Inq. Epilogue put me in touch with this report by Fox News' Michael Park, asking, "how big do you have to be to earn the wrath of the United Nations and Internet giant Google?"

I'm no great fan of Faux News, and the report admittedly left me with questions about
Inner City Press, its "news judgment sometimes" being "more than a little off the mark," and its vagueness about staffing.

However, there is something bigger at work here, and I share Frank's dislike for "the idea of Google - or anybody else - making up my mind for me." In the past, there might be some solidarity among journalists, covering stories where another media outlet (even if it was a competitor) was up against some freedom-of-the-press issues. Whether this story gets much attention remains to be seen.

No comments: