Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Rush .....

It had been more than six months since I left NewsWest 9, and more than six months since I had felt the rush that comes from 'doing news' ..... doing it right and doing it first.

This morning, I had a chance to feel the rush once more, as I was performing some temp work over at CBS 7. The
FutureGen project which had employed me in recent weeks was behind me, and I was in the newsroom doing some maintenance when one breaking news story, then another, came across the desk.

The first was a story about an
officer-involved shooting in Midland, which crossed our desk late this morning. In short order, we produced the first web report of this story, followed just a few minutes later by the first television report.

I found myself surfing the local 'net, seeing if anyone else had the story (they didn't), and came across another story out of Midland, this one about a
Midland city councilman's bid for a seat in the Texas House. mywesttexas.com produced the first web report of this story ..... so we had to settle for the second web report and the first television report .....

Hey, it was still a rush!

No comments: