Friday, November 28, 2008

Actual Incident's Virtual Effect .....

UPDATE: Weather Underground once again has updated content from Thailand, with reports now coming from Hua Hin Airport.

There are storm clouds over Thailand today, tossing the political and social seas to the extent that small ripples reach one of my blogs here, on the far side of the world.

According to
this report from the Associated Press, "protesters occupying Bangkok's two airports braced for a raid after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared a limited state of emergency authorizing police to take back the terminals. Meanwhile, rumors swept the city that the military would instead stage a coup to end the months-long standoff between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the elected government, which the alliance has vowed to topple."

I am reminded of the ongoing troubles there each time I visit my West Texas Missioner blog, where one of my Weather Underground gadgets (set for Bangkok, Thailand) remains in gray-scale mode, and tells me "DATA UNAVAILABLE" ... the reporting center for that city, is the airport.

I passed through that airport on my way into and out of Thailand, earlier this year ... and I met a lot of good people - both native Thais and foreign nationals - in the days between my arrival and my departure. I think of them a lot these days, and I pray for their safekeeping through these troubled and uncertain times ... I hope you will, too.

No comments: